Cohabiting in itself is a topic that doesn’t need too much explanation because people are very familiar with it. It just like asking what is food? Everyone knows the answer to that question. However some people forget to cross check their options of living together and look out for the not so fun part. Making the decision whether to cohabit before marriage requires careful consideration for all couples. Getting the decision right could make the difference between the success and failure for a long-term relationship.
Cohabitation is a sexual relationship between two people prior to marriage. It is an agreement between two individuals who live together like wedded individuals, but without performing any matrimonial ceremony. People who prefer cohabitation to marriage have a firm conviction that cohabitation empowers them to know whether they are fit for each other sexually, emotionally and economically.
However, there are some evidence that living together before marriage can damage a relationship; some studies indicate that those who live together with definite plans for marriage are at minimal risk; but fewer than half of cohabiting unions end in marriage. The man in question might start coming up with excuses why the marriage is been delayed; however, there are no positive effects from cohabiting. If you’re cohabiting, it doesn’t give you the same rights as a wife.
Others, particularly women, may do it out of sheer hope or expectation that it is a quick stepping-stone to marriage. If you do, you might find yourself waiting and wasting years. Men in particular tend to be far less motivated to work on the relationship.
“Married men who cohabited before marriage are less dedicated to their wives than married men who did not first cohabit”.
Disadvantages of cohabitation
1. You miss out on the newlywed feeling.
2. No real commitment.
3. Couples end up getting too comfortable with the living arrangement, and then don’t see point of getting married. It feels like they already are!
4. Research also shows that in Africa, the family of the man has seen too much of you and might no longer want you around.
5. Engaged cohabiters marriage plans start moving slow. You risk experiencing a broken engagement.
6. Experiencing the challenge of being spontaneous and keeping things fresh.
7. Living together before marriage can sabotage long-term love.
8. Those who live together do not experience the best sex.
9. Less feeling of security.
There are a few advantages of living together before marriage but the not so fun part tend to supersede the good part. People prefer to travel by air because it saves time and it more comfortable than traveling by road. Remember, in the case of an accident, there tend to be more survivals on road accidents than in plane crash. That’s the difference between cohabiting and marriage. Trust me, it is worth the wait.