Warning: How cooking gas cylinder left in car under the sun for five hours exploded (Photos)

Warning: How cooking gas cylinder left in car under the sun for five hours exploded (Photos)

A cooking gas cylinder exploded at a compound because it was left in an enclosed car kept under sun for about 5 hours.

The Facebook user who shared photos from the incident wrote;

A gas cylinder in a vehicle parked under the sun with all it’s glass wind up and left for about 5hours. When it got heated by the sun,exploded and rift off the top of the vehicle (golf wagon). Let’s be careful of gas cylinder.Even if we want to buy and return home quickly,we should allow ventilation in

See photos;

How To Prevent Cooking Gas Explosions In Nigerian Homes

What is in ‘cooking gas’?

Cooking gas sold in Nigeria is otherwise known as Liquefied Petroleum Gas, or LPG. Liquified because because the gases can be stored in liquid form with moderate pressure, Petroleum because the composite gases are light hydrocarbons (composed of carbon and hydrogen if we are to revisit organic chemistry notes of years gone by) – butane and propane in varying compositions, Gas because, well…Gas.

Where does LPG come from?

READ ALSO:  "Supreme Court judgement maybe viewed as judgement without justice" - David Lyon

In 1910, Dr Water Snelling, an American chemist working for the US bureau of Mines launched an investigation into a customer complaint regarding his petrol evaporating too quickly.

LPG is made up of a flammable mixture of propane and butane gases in varying quantities. When sold separately in Nigeria, Butane comes in a blue cylinder, and propane comes in a red cylinder. The nature of this composition means that it has to be stored, transported and used via pressurised cylinders. LPG is ideal for cooking because it burns cleanly (this means that it burns without any soot or smoke given off), and exposure to this in small amounts is not toxic to humans. It is relatively odourless, however an odourant is added to enable detection in the event of leakage.

Just like in Nigeria, it is used for cooking in countries which don’t have gas piped to homes for domestic purposes


Back to Bode. After several rounds of questioning and introspection, it was clear that his misfortune had come as a result of some faulty tubing connecting the cylinder to the cooker. If as little as 2% of LPG leaks out, it will form a flammable mixture with air. Within a confined space with no adequate ventilation, this can very easily cause an explosion.

Hoses and tubing on gas cylinders are one of the weakest points in the system, and it is important to pay attention to keeping these as safe for use as possible. One would be surprised at how easy it is to ensure safety, and how simplistic the safety instructions are, compared to the damage caused annually. The experts at Calor suggest:

READ ALSO:  Police arrest fake policeman in Lagos

*Keeping the tubing away from bright sunlight, dampness, abrasion and heavy weights.
*Replaces hoses every 5 years, as they are manufactured with a lifespan of 5 years
*Store the cylinders in a place where you have good ventilation. This is because LPG is heavier than air, and gravity ensures that it will flow along floors and and settle in pockets in the ground (if any). As a result, a leak and an ignition source are the only requirements for an explosion to occur. In addition to this, an unchecked leak will cause air to be displaced, increasing the chances of suffocation.

READ ALSO:  Nigerian man finally arrested 3-years after scamming US construction company, $850000

How to check for leaks

It is important to do the following every gas cylinder change without fail.

All you need to detect a leak is soapy water, a sponge or spray bottle and good lighting.

Turn on the valve and either soap the valve and hose down or spray with a spray bottle. If you see bubbles appear, you have found your leak.

Here’s a video demonstration:

It is important that you check at home, as well as at the depot, as the connections between your cooker and the gas cylinder also need to be checked.

As you can see, safety is only a sponge, soap and know-how away. The more people aware of how to keep these units safe for use, the more potential lives saved. Therefore, please share this post with those you know who use domestic gas for cooking.


  • comment-avatar
    Collins 5 months ago

    Thank u for the piece of information.