Nigerian News

Tinubu orders investigation into ‘accidental’ Kaduna bombing

President Bola Tinubu has ordered an immediate investigation into the Nigerian military’s accidental bombing of Tudun Biri in Igabi Local Government Area of Kaduna State.

The tragic incident which happened on Sunday, Dec 3, while villagers were celebrating Maulud Nabiyy (the birth of Prophet Muhammad) left scores dead.

Presidential spokesman, Ajuri Ngelale, in a statement on Tuesday, conveyed Tinubu’s sympathies with the families of the victims and the Kaduna State Government.

The statement reads; “President Bola Tinubu sympathizes with the families of victims, the people and the government of Kaduna State over the bombing mishap in a village at Tundun Biri in Igabi Local Government Area of the state.

“President Tinubu describes the incident as very unfortunate, disturbing, and painful, expressing anger and grief over the tragic loss of Nigerian lives.

“The President directed a thorough and full-fledged investigation into the incident and called for calm while the authorities looked diligently into the mishap.

“The President also directs swift and comprehensive medical attention for surviving victims while praying for the repose of the souls of the deceased”.

Meanwhile, the Nigerian Army has taken responsibility for the air bombing in Kaduna after initially denying media reports.

Following the unfortunate incident, the Kaduna state government called an emergency security meeting chaired by the deputy governor, Hadiza Balarabe on Monday, December 4. It was at a meeting that military claimed responsibility for the bombing.

The commissioner overseeing the state’s Ministry of Internal Security and Home Affairs, Samuel Aruwan, confirmed the development.

He said; “The Kaduna State government has received briefings on Sunday night’s attack, which left several citizens dead and others injured.

“In a meeting presided over by the Deputy Governor, Dr Hadiza Balarabe, which had in attendance heads of security agencies, religious and traditional leaders, the Nigerian Army explained the circumstances which led to the unfortunate and unintended attack.

“The General Officer Commanding 1 Division Nigerian Army, Major VU Okoro, explained that the Nigerian Army was on a routine mission against terrorists but inadvertently affected members of the community”.

Aruwan, who apologised for the bombing, told reporters that the injured victims had been taken to the Barau Dikko Teaching Hospital for medical attention, adding that search and rescue efforts were still ongoing.