Connect with us
 

Nigerian News

Some Nigerians mistook our disbandment of SARS as weakness – Buhari

Published

on

President Muhammadu has said some Nigerians mistook as weakness, the swift response of his administration to disband the Nigeria Police Force Special Anti-Robbery Squad, (SARS).

Buhari made this known in a live broadcast by 7pm on Thursday evening of October 22, 2020.

Amid the growing tension of nationwide protests, the Inspector-General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, had scrapped the police unit over allegations of gross misconduct, abuse of human rights and extrajudicial killings.

Special Weapons and Tactics, SWAT had been announced by the IGP as a replacement for SARS.

President Buhari addressing Nigerians on Thursday, said; “As a democratic government, we listened to, and carefully evaluated the five-point demands of the protesters. And, having accepted them, we immediately scrapped SARS, and put measures in place to address the other demands of our youth.

“On approving the termination of SARS, I already made it clear that it was in line with our commitment to the implementation of extensive Police reforms.

“Sadly, the promptness with which we have acted seemed to have been misconstrued as a sign of weakness and twisted by some for their selfish unpatriotic interests.

“The result of this is clear to all observers: human lives have been lost; acts of sexual violence have been reported; two major correctional facilities were attacked and convicts freed; public and private properties completely destroyed or vandalised; the sanctity of the Palace of a Peace Maker, the Oba of Lagos has been violated. So-called protesters have invaded an International Airport and in the process disrupted the travel plans of fellow Nigerians and our visitors.”

 
 
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *