Connect with us
 

Nigerian News

Reactions trail reports of kidnappers in Abuja collecting ransom through banks

Published

on

Kidnappers operating in the Federal Capital Territory (FCT) are becoming more daring by the day as they have started collecting ransom from their victims via bank accounts contrary to their usual style of receiving cash, Daily Trust reports.

In recent months, Tungan Maje, Kuje, Bwari and Abaji community in the outskirts of the city have experienced staggered spikes in kidnap incidences.

While such kidnappers in the past usually release their victims after collecting cash payments, a new trend suggests that they are devising new means of getting the ransom.

In April, a former Deputy Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Kingsley Moghalu, alleged that terrorists and kidnappers had started making ransom demands in cryptocurrencies.

Daily Trust reported that kidnappers on Wednesday, June 16, picked up their victims, Mrs Aminat Adewuyi and four others at Madalla junction when going on shopping to the popular Ibrahim Babangida Market in Suleja, Niger State.

It was gathered that the victims’ relatives paid ransom money ranging between N500,000 and N1,000,000 to a designated bank account provided by the kidnappers before they secured their freedom.

A brother of Mrs Adewuyi, who craved anonymity, said while negotiating with them the criminals initially demanded N5 million from each of their victims.

The kidnappers later agreed to collect N500,000 from Adewuyi’s relatives after two days and much pleas.

The negotiator said the criminals threatened to slaughter the woman if the ransom was not paid within 48 hours and insisted that they preferred collecting the ransom via bank than the usual cash.

The ransom payment slip, a copy of which was obtained by Daily Trust showed that Adewuyi’s husband paid N500,000 into an Access Bank account with number 1403762272 and the name Badawi Abba Enterprise.

Narrating her ordeal and how it happened, Adewuyi said; “We boarded a bus at a junction opposite SARCO filling station, near the popular NYSC junction in Kubwa when going to Suleja Market.

“Majority of the passengers in the bus alighted at Zuba. The driver wanted to drop off the remaining few passengers also but he managed to take us to Madalla junction – the road that leads to Dakwa.

“But when we got to Madalla junction, the driver said we should board another vehicle going to Suleja. The remaining five of us (women) stop a vehicle calling “Suleja! Suleja!!” and the bus driver settled him and we left.

“Immediately we entered, the driver ‘centrally locked’ all the doors and wound up all the windows. It was that time we knew that all the glasses were tinted. Four of us sat at the back seat, one sat together with a man in front including the driver.

“When they finished whining up the glasses, they brought out guns, knives and bottles of coke, saying we should cooperate. They ordered us to drink the coke mixed with codeine but I insisted I wouldn’t.

“The man in front raised a knife and gave me only codeine to drink but I pretended as if I had taken it. He could not do anything with his weapon because it was so tight in the vehicle.

“Some of the victims who took the coke had started sleeping before we reached the bush where they took us to.

“Despite the fact that I didn’t sleep, I can’t recognise where they took us to. I only know that the vehicle that conveyed us turned left immediately after Kwata (the popular place they are selling meat) before Suleja. Kwata is after Kwankwashe.

“Our vehicle drove into the bush and when it couldn’t go further, because the remaining road was a pathway, three persons that had already been waiting for them with bikes, conveyed us with their bikes into the deep bush.

“There was only one house in that bush. They kept us there and they were giving us bread and sachet water. One of us was released that same day because she had money in her account and transferred it to them immediately, we got there.

“They were already sharpening their knives to slaughter me after two days when they couldn’t get an alert from my husband. It was only God that saved me that day.”

Adewuyi’s husband, at the time, said he had formally reported the matter at the Anti-Kidnapping Unit of the Nigerian Police in Jabi.

When contacted, the Spokesperson for the FCT Police Command, ASP Mariam Yusuf, said the command has deployed overt and covert strategies to checkmate criminality within FCT including special Anti-Kidnapping operations.

Nigerians have taken to social media to comment on how troubling it is for kidnappers to be using bank accounts to receive ransom without any signal from government that they will be tracked and apprehended, especially considering how the authorities commended itself over how the NIN-SIM linkage has been able to help curb banditry and kidnapping.

@amandaergoyoga said; I’m still wondering why the account has not been frozen… This is aiding crime oh

@CeanApparel commented; Yet they can’t be traced. I will keep saying this, our leaders are involved. You can’t tell me otherwise.

@seunshoyombo said; The culprits gave themselves away if we being serious, every account as BVN, KYC, picture, phone number…no need to block just track the account operator.

@nanret4 wondered; Okay but shey you can’t open a business account without a utility bill and an identity card. How hard can it be to track these people down?

 
 
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *