The Oyo state Police command on Thursday, embarked on a show of force in major areas of the state over an alleged invasion of armed hoodlums amid the proposed June 12 protests.
Commissioner of Police, Ngozi Onadeko, briefing journalists at the end of the patrol, said the exercise was to let the public be aware that their safety was the primary responsibility of the police.
NAN reports that there had been suspicion that armed bandits had invaded the state to cause chaos.
The police started the show of force from the command’s headquarters at Eleyele, through Egbeda, Monatan, Akinyele, Moniya, Beere, Agodi-Gate, Olodo, Iwo Road, among others.
Onadeko said there was no truth in the rumour that bandits had invaded major towns, warning that unfounded rumours would not do anybody good in the society.
According to her, the police and other sister security agencies in the state are collaborating with local hunters and vigilance groups to protect lives and property.
She called on residents to stop creating unnecessary fear in public.
“Go about your normal businesses. Even, the June 12 issue, the police, and other security agencies are working harmoniously together with non-state actors to ensure that the state is safe,” the Commissioner said.
CorrectNG reported yesterday that Yoruba rights activist, Sunday Igboho had indicated interest to join the nationwide June 12 protest which is currently gathering momentum.
Also, Sahara Reporters Publisher, Omoyele Sowore, in a Twitter post last Thursday, said residents of about 31 cities had confirmed their readiness for the mass protest.
“Akure. Kaduna. Kano. Zaria. Abuja. Lagos. Benin City. Port Harcourt. Abeokuta. Lokoja. Osogbo. Yola. Calabar. Onitsha. Awka. London. New York. Jos. Makurdi. Warri. Ibadan. Ilorin. Minna. Lafia. Damaturu. Gombe. Joburg. Toronto. Frankfurt. Stockholm-CONFIRMED …
“These are cities that have been confirmed ready for #June12Protest. Ado-Ekiti is now confirmed,” he had tweeted.