Crime WatchGossip

Okada rider docked for allegedly abducting Air Force officer

A 27-year-old commercial motorcyclist, Mohammed Amine, has been docked at a Badagry Chief Magistrates’ Court in Lagos, for allegedly abducting an Air Force officer.

The defendant was arraigned before Chief Magistrate, Mr Fadahunsi Adefioye, on two-count charge of abduction and breach of peace.

Police prosecutor, ASP Clément Okuoimose, told the court that the Mohammed committed the offence on 9th of August at about 9:40 pm in Badagry.

According to Okuoimose, the defendant abducted one Reuben Robinson of 653 Nigerian Air Force, Ahanve, Badagry, to an unknown destination against his consent.

He said the suspect conducted himself in a manner likely to cause breach of peace by taking the complainant to an unknown destination with his TVS motorcycle with registration number BDG 737 QP.

The prosecutor said the offenses contravene Sections 21 and 168 of the Criminal Law of Lagos, 2015. Mohammed however, pleaded not guilty.

The Chief Magistrate granted the defendant bail in the sum of N50, 000 with one surety in like sum. Adefioye said the surety must be gainfully employed with a tax address verification of two years.

He adjourned the case until September 14 for mention.

In other news…

A kidnap victim identified as Lucy Jeremiah displayed uncommon bravery by escaping from the hideout her kidnappers kept her in the bush. The woman, who was traveling in a vehicle to Jos, Plateau State had been abducted by a nine-man kidnap gang.

The female traveller narrated how she wrestled the gunmen to escape from the bush where she was held captive. The kidnappers abducted Jeremiah and three other victims while they were travelling from Abuja to Plateau on Thursday.

Plateau State Police Command spokesperson, Alabo Alfred, confirmed the incident, and disclosed that all rescued victims had been taken to a hospital for treatment.

Lucy, who narrated the story while still traumatised, told The Punch that as they went deep into the forest, she came up with an escape plan, but the others were afraid.

She said; “What happened was that we were coming back from Abuja to Jos in a vehicle last Thursday. On getting to the Government Science School, Kuru, in the Jos South LGA of Plateau State around 6pm, though I was sleeping in the vehicle, I woke up when the vehicle suddenly stopped. When I woke up, I saw a man wielding a gun. He opened the door and said we should give him our phones.

“He collected all our phones and money. He thereafter selected four of us in the vehicle and marched us into the bush. The kidnappers, numbering nine, asked us to call our parents on phone and demanded N5m each. After we made the calls, they took us farther into the bush and out of the four persons, I was the only female among them.

“They said they could not do anything because they were not with any weapon to fight the kidnappers, who were with a gun, a knife and other weapons. By this time, some of the kidnappers, who were initially nine, had left, leaving four of them with us. As we marched deeper into the bush, two of the four kidnappers were trailing behind, while two others with the gun and knife were leading us in front.

“At this time, I told my co-traveller victims that we should do something and that I will not follow the kidnappers any farther into the bush to wherever they were taking us to and that God would be in control. I also told them what to do as I suggested to them that I would be the first person to grab the kidnapper carrying the gun while they should come to my assistance if anything happened and that was what I did.

“So, when I grabbed the kidnapper with the gun, the other kidnapper holding a knife rushed forward and wanted to stab me in the stomach. But as I turned, he missed his target ….”