As a multi-ethnic nation with over five hundred dialects across the country, every native language will have their own way of calling God. We have compiled some of the names of God in different Nigerian languages and their meaning in English.
Names of God in Hausa
- Ubangiji – It means the Supreme Being.
- Sariki n Salama – It means Prince of Peace.
- Ubanjidi n Dunia – It means Master of the World.
- Mai Taimako – It means the Helper.
- Ruhun Hikima – It means Spirit of Wisdom.
- Allah Mai Iko – It means Powerful God.
- Allah Mai Girma – It means Great God.
- Tushen Rai – It means the author of Life.
- Uba Madu Kaki – Meaning the Father of Glory.
Names of God in Igbo
- Chineke – It means the creator of the world.
- Ebube dike – It means strong and powerful God.
- Oje na Mmuo – It means the God that works in the Spirit.
- Oputa Obie – It means one who is the beginning and the end.
- Odogwu Akataka – This name means fearless warrior.
- Ejide obi esike – It means God is my confidence.
- Echeta Echezo nkpa – This name means “he that takes away pain and worries”.
- Di nwanyi isi mpe – The meaning of this name – God is the husband of the widow.
- Dike na’ gba – This name means mighty man in battle.
- Onye gara ije na enu mmiri- It means he that walked upon the sea.
- Obata obie – It means the God that put ends every trouble.
- Akwakwuru – Akwakwuru means the unmovable God.
- Agu n’eche mba – It means the Lion that guards the city.
- Odu ebo Judea – It means the lion of the tribe of Judah.
- Dike na’gha – It means mighty Warrior.
- Chi ne cherem –
- The God that thinks for me.
- Eze ndi Eze – It means the King of kings.
- Oku n’ere ere – It means God is a consuming fire.
- Ebube mbekumbe – Forever glorious.
Names of God in Yoruba
- Oluwa – One of the common of Names of God in Yoruba meaning Lord.
- Olorun – It also means Lord.
- Olodumare or Eledumare – It means the Almighty.
- Adagba ma paaro oye – It means that the God who does not change no matter how old he is.
- Alagbawi Eda – The defender of man.
- Atorise – It means the God who can turn bad situations to good.
- Atererekariaye – It means the one that spreads out across the earth.
- Atofarati – It means the God you can lean on.
- Awimayehun – The one that speaks and does not change his words.
- Asoromaye – The God that speaks and does not fail to bring it to pass.
- Awamaridi – It means the unsearchable God.
- Arugbo ojo – it means the Ancient of Days.
- Atogbojule – The one that is dependable.
- Kabiyeesi – It means King.
- Metalokan – It means the three in one God (Trinity).
- Oba awon Oba – This name means the Kings of Kings.
- Ologojulo – It means the most glorious God.
- Olorun Awon Olorun – It means the Lords of Lords.
- Olugbala – It means the Saviour.
- Oludariji – It means the one that forgives our sins.
Names of God in other Nigerian tribes
Names of God in Ibibio
- Abasi – It means the director of the universe.
- Abasi Afid Abuk – It means God of All Flesh.
- Abasi Mbom Mmi – Meaning God of my Mercy.
- Osa Nudazi – It means the impregnable.
Name of God in Ijaw
- Woyengi-momoemi – God is with me
- Tamarapreye – God’s gift
- Ayiba tari – God’s Love
- Beinmonyo – Fulfilled
- Ayebatari – God’s love
- Ayebabomote – God’s praise
- Ayebaidobamo – God has made me great
- Nengimote – Above all
Name of God in Edo
Osanobwa – It means the one who carries and sustains the world.
Name of God in Nupe
Soko – It means “the creator or supreme deity that resides in heaven”
Name of God in Birom
Dagwi – It means the source of being.
Name of God in Urhobo
Oghene – The almighty God
These are the names of God in Nigerian languages we have been able to gather. We hope to bring you more