A friend was in my house when it burnt down – Orezi opens up

Nigerian dancehall sensation, Esegine Allen, popularly known as Orezi, has revealed that when fire razed his house, his friend was inside.

CorrectNG recalls that last month, social media was awash with news of fire razing his mansion worth N300 million in Lagos state.

Orezi friend fire house

Recounting the incident during a recent interview, Orezi said that though he was not at home when it happened, his friend was upstairs when the fire started, but luckily he survived.

He said, “I was devastated when I saw what fire did to my house. I was filled with so much anger. If fire was a person, I would have had a fight with it. I was sad and heartbroken. It practically burnt everything to the ground.

“However, I thank God that no life was lost. A friend was upstairs, and the situation could have been worse. When there is life, there is hope. I am back to business.”

On how he is coping with the reality of a burnt house, the singer said, “It is mentally and financially draining. At this time, I am promoting my EP, and that requires time and money. It is not the best time not to have a roof over one’s head. But, work has started; and the major things are being taken care of. By God’s grace, everything will get back to as it was; even better.”

Meanwhile, in other news…

Nigerian media personality, Toke Makinwa, recently opened up on how she lost her parents in a fire incident when she was a child.

She recalled the emotional incident during a recent episode of her show, Toke Moments with Comedian Ayo Makun aka AY, as her guest.

Toke Makinwa said the fire outbreak that took her dad and mum remains one of her “biggest fears” till date as it threw her into a deep state of anxiety.

The Radiogirl had questioned her AY about a recent fire incident that gutted his Lagos residence and it brought back sad memories.

Toke said, “I’ve been a victim of a house fire when I was a kid and unfortunately both my parents died as a result of that. That’s one of my biggest fears.”

The comedian replied; “Sorry about that. I’m just hearing for the first time.”

AY revealed that he was on tour in Canada when his house went up in flames, adding that he woke up to a total of 78 missed calls.

“Knowing fully well that my family was on holiday, that was my point of Thanksgiving. I woke up to about 78 missed calls that day. Any time I see something like that, I just know something has happened. I opened my phone and saw my house on Instablog,” he said.